Thursday, December 9, 2010

Happy Last Day of Classes!

"I'm going to miss all of you... for a couple of weeks," Professor Stokes said.

Then, pointing out the student with the questions whose answers are always right in front of us, he said, "I'm going to miss you especially. You've made this class... interesting."

With the end of another semester in sight I bring up my new class schedule, check it against the requirements for my major, and GULP. I'm just barely nibbling at the fringes of PDBio. As in, if I were a mouse nibbling at cheese, I'm going to starve at this rate.

Still, I'm set in my decision of sticking with this major - that is, unless I get struck by a flash of inspiration or lightning. Either or.

The end of a semester is also the harbinger of other endings. A dear friend of mine was rejected from the photography program. That was a terrible blow for her, especially since we both know she's gifted. It cut short her dreams of getting into the program here at BYU. But it didn't cut short her ambition.

My friend's disappointment revived my own hunger to get into said program. Photography's my secret pleasure. I've had lofty visions of myself becoming a National Geographic photojournalist. Still, however much people might say, "Go for your dreams," I say in return, "Make sure your dreams are rooted deep in something real."

Like becoming a dancing, 'picture-perfect' doctor.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I got rejected from the design school at BYU and from 7 graduate architecture programs. Get used to rejection. But don't let it stop your dreams. Just tweak them. Now I'm in school again for architecture--not to become an architect, but to work for one, which is almost as good. :)

    ReplyDelete